PORTUGUESE ACEDEMIC FEDERATION OF UNIVERSITY SPORT
The Portuguese Academic Federation of University Sport – FADU Portugal is a sport federation which focuses on sport as a tool in training and education. Born of a movement of various academies of the country in order to stimulate, encourage and organize sport within Higher Education. Founded on March 2, 1990, is endowed with Sports Public Utility since the year 1995, having grown over the years, both in terms of organized activities, both in terms of number of participants and is considered today as one of the largest sports federations in our country.
It’s national member of the Olympic Committee of Portugal, Paralympic Committee of Portugal, Portuguese Sports Confederation and the National Youth Council. At international level FADU is also member of the world governing body FISU, since 1993 and was one of the founding members of EUSA in 1999.
Being a multisport Federation, with the mission of organizing the university sport in all its dimensions - sporting, educational and social - aims through various activities to foster competition, conviviality and exchange students from various higher education institutions within and outside Portugal. It also intends to encourage the competitive spirit, team and fair play, leading a healthy lifestyle in the academic community. It has increasingly sought to widen its offer by promoting projects and organizational activities in the field of recreational and informal sport.
FADU began its international participations at the 1991 Sheffield Universiade (Great Britain) and one year later it participated in the World University Handball Championships in Malaga (Spain). 1993 was a year of particular importance for FADU since it was officially recognized as a FISU member and took part in the Buffalo Universiade (USA).
Since then, it has participated in every Summer Universiade. FADU has developed and grown into one of the largest national sport federations. At present, it is also responsible for national competitions in more than 40 sports involving over 8000 athletes and 490 teams, representing 100 clubs that compete annually for the 280 titles of National University Champion. It also supervises the National Finals stage and has organized and will organize a big number of international sporting events. Each year promote the Annual University Sports Gala.
In partnership with Portuguese higher education institutions and their student’s union, FADU organize:
At international level with FISU
- 1996 WUC Cross Country (Açoteias, Algarve)
- 1998 WUC Futsal (Braga)
- 2000 WUC Handball (Covilhã/Guarda)
- 2004 FISU Forum (Lisbon)
- 2008 WUC Badminton (Braga)
- 2010 WUC Rugby 7 (Porto)
- 2012 WUC Chess (Guimarães)
- 2012 WUC Futsal (Braga)
- 2014 WUC Beach-Volleyball (Porto)
- 2014 WUC Handball (Guimarães)
- 2016 WUC Floorball (Porto)
- 2016 WUC Karate (Braga)
- 2018 WUC Cycling (Braga)
At European level with EUSA
- 2001 EUC Basketball (Aveiro)
- 2004 EUC Volleyball (Braga)
- 2005 EUSA Symposium (Funchal, Madeira)
- 2006 EUC Badminton (Lisboa)
- 2006 EUC Basketball (Guimarães)
- 2009 EUC Golf (Lagoa, Algarve)
- 2009 EUC Taekwondo (Braga)
- 2010 EUC Tennis (Coimbra)
- 2011 EUC Table Tennis (Funchal, Madeira)
- 2011 EUC Taekwondo (Braga)
- 2013 EUSA General Assembly, Conference and Gala (Funchal, Madeira)
- 2013 EUC Beach-Volleyball (Porto)
- 2013 EUC Judo (Coimbra)
- 2015 EUC Handball (Braga)
- 2017 EUC Judo, Karaté, Taekwondo (Coimbra)
- 2017 EUC Football (Porto)
- 2018 4th European Universities Games (Coimbra)
- 2019 EUC Futsal (Braga)
- 2019 EUC 3x3 Basketball (Porto)
At international level FADU is also member of the European governing body EUSA and was one of the founding members of EUSA in 1999.